Government House Administrator in Darwin Northern Territory Australia

 

  • Adminstrators office

     


    Government House Northern Territory - Office of the Administrator,
    19 The Esplanade Darwin
    Northern Territory Australia

    Office of the Administrator: Is situated some 300 metres up the road on the last section of the Esplanade. (pictured right). The Administrator of the Northern Territory is appointed by the Governor-General by Commission under the Seal of Australia in accordance with the provisions of the Northern Territory (Self Government) Act 1978. Administrator holds office during the pleasure of the Governor-General, and is charged with the duty of administering the government of the Northern Territory. The Administrator has a role and responsibilities essentially the same as those of a State Governor.

    Text is the Courtesy of nt.gov.au/
    Lot 6571(A), Town of Darwin.
    Corner of the Esplanade and Smith Street.
    Facsimile. 08 8999 5521 & Email. governmenthouse.darwin@nt.gov.au

    Porcellanite stone buildings with encircling verandahs to the former police station and courthouse.

    The buildings are typified by simple gable roofs with minimal overhang and encircled by wide split verandahs.

    Government House Northern Territory - Office of the Administrator. Government House in Darwin is the home and official residence of the Administrator of the Northern Territory. Government House is the oldest European building in the Northern Territory. His Honour the Administrator resides at Government House. Government House has been the home of successive Government Residents and Administrators since 1871.

    The Swearing-In Ceremony of Mr Tom Pauling QC as the Administrator of the Northern Territory by His Excellency Major-General Michael Jeffery AC CVO MC, Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, took place in the Chamber of the Legislative Assembly, Parliament House, Darwin on Friday 9 November 2007, in the presence of three former Administrators. His Honour the Administrator and Mrs Tessa Pauling reside at Government House, The Esplanade, Darwin.

    It has endured cyclones, earthquakes, enemy bombing raids, infestations of white ants and rowdy public demonstrations to remain one of the most spectacular and attractive buildings in Darwin.
    The gardens covers some 1.4 hectares are a sea of colur on occassions with many points of botanical and historic interest.

    John George Knight was responsible for establishing a fine tropical grove with terraced walks in 1878-79. Knight's garden was re-established during the 1930s with further landscaping carried out during the late 1970s and the 1980s.